I just had to have another project to get going on the Standard. Sew….. I happened to find some cute sock monkey fabric and decided to find some complimentary fabrics for a baby shower quilt. The sock monkey fabric will be the backing.
The pattern I chose is Hunters Star – the same pattern I used for the parents wedding quilt. Jenny Doan from the Missouri Star Quilt Company, has a fantastic tutorial on YouTube for creating a Hunters Star quilt using half square triangles. Here is the link: http://youtu.be/Y7KtiLK_xJk
It all starts with 5 inch strips- some will turn into 4 patches, and some will be sewn into half square triangles.
You can see how the arrow appears when the star and 4 patch are lined up correctly.
It takes 16 half square triangles to make one star, and that has been the most time consuming part of this project.
I plan to do the quilting for this one myself, and with the deadline two weeks from now- I better get back to business on my day off!
I know I have posted on this quilt before, but I found out some new information about the quilt pattern today that I would like to share with you!
The individual kite squares were hand pieced in the 1930’s by my husband’s great-grandmother. Luckily for us, the pieced blocks (joined by machine in the 1930’s) were not damaged by time.
Today, as I was surfing the net for background information on the pattern, I found this website – Moore About Nancy: The Kite quilt block. This blog, written by Candice Moore, has information on the pattern when it was published in both 1933 and 1877. Candice explains about the pattern when it was posted in 1933 in the Chicago Tribune. The Kite pattern was one in a series of patterns by Nancy Cabot. Thanks Candice 🙂
Candice notes in her blog post that the pattern was also published much earlier in the Progressive Farmer as Star Kites 1877. The hand written pattern can be found on the Quilt Index website.
Can you just imagine someone in 1877 reading this pattern, then sitting down to sew the kite squares by hand? Now, you too can continue this time-honored tradition by slowing down, unplugging the electronics (did I just say that!) and joining the slow quilting movement at least for a little while.
Happy Sewing or Surfing – and Enjoy this Spring Day – maybe even fly a kite 🙂
I am venturing into the land of Modern Quilting with fabric choices in bright polka-dots, set with solids. I have also chosen to make a modern design for this new quilt top.
I found these great polka dot prints in a jelly roll, and thought immediately that they would look fantastic set with some solids – like grey and yellow for a modern quilt.
The Chevron is still trending, so I decided to create a “fat” and “thin” chevron using the grey for the wider chevron shape and the 2 1/2 inch strips from the jelly roll for the more narrow chevron shape. As you can see there are many 1/2 square triangles involved in this project. and I have found an EASY way to make them.
It starts with two 2 1/2 in strips sewn right sides together on both edges. See a future post for details.
I am happy with the first two blocks, what do you think???
This finished size is a rectangle – GASP- so, non-traditional of me!
Stay tuned as I will be finishing this (hopefully) in the next week or 2 or so………
I actually quilted this one myself, with the feed dogs down and free motion foot on. I may have done a bit too much, but I am happy with the end result. The backing is a cute all over print that can disquise my amature free motion work! – Now all we need is the pup.
OK – we are currently pet-less if that is a word, and I am thinking that it is time to get a puppy for our house. The kids are grown and moving out, and I need some replacement for that missing time and attention given to the kids!! So, I found this cute stack of fabrics with a puppy print and decided to make a tumbling blocks quilt – puppy sized.
This was my first attempt at a tumbling block quilt, and I think that the project would have been better with some higher contrast fabrics, or better planning in placement. The hardest part? Y-Seams. If you know of a pattern without using the Y-seam, let me know!
The best part was seeing the seams aligned after sewing down one side, then pivoting 1/4 inch before the corner, then sewing down the other side. – all this piece needs is a little press with the iron.
There isn’t anything fancy about this border, but the BEST part was finding a great batik backing in a complementary pattern.
Don’t you just love the little circles? The colors are a perfect match, and I quickly attached the binding – no hand stitching on this one. I attached the binding on the back, then folded it over to the front and did a machine stitch all the way around – SEWEASY!
Make another quilt! The left-over fabric from a queen sized Tennessee Waltz quilt I made a few years ago is the perfect amount for a small quilt.
As you can see, I have a batik with greens and blues, some red with a flower pattern, and white strips too. My first thought was to do something with the strips sewn together – like a Lone Star or something, but I also had a bunch of left-over half-square triangles.As you can see, this creates some more possibilities.
I decided to go with the triangles, and made this using just the white and batik!
I stopped at a small size; 23″ X 28″ and have enough batik and white strips left to do something interesting with the border, starting with a 2 1/2 inch strip of white – then I’ll add another border.